> Thanks.  I tried and it builds with MSVC 2008.  Don't know how to try if
> it actually works.

Originally I did it for that Netbeans plugin which for some reason
used only XPM icons. Commands below will show whether XPM lib is
working or not:
:exe 'sign define vimxpm icon='.$VIMRUNTIME.'\\vim32x32.xpm'
:exe 'sign place 1 line=1 name=vimxpm file='.expand('%:p')

> Can you give some information about what it was build with?  I suppose
> it only works for 32 bits builds?

Correct, the binary is 32bit only but it can be built for 64bit
without any problems. Here are the makefiles:

Makefile for MSVC:

---- snip ----
src = Attrib.c CrBufFrI.c CrDatFrI.c create.c CrIFrBuf.c CrIFrDat.c \
        data.c hashtab.c Image.c Info.c misc.c RdFToBuf.c RdFToDat.c \
        RdFToI.c rgb.c scan.c simx.c WrFFrBuf.c parse.c \
        WrFFrDat.c WrFFrI.c

obj = Attrib.obj CrBufFrI.obj CrDatFrI.obj create.obj CrIFrBuf.obj
CrIFrDat.obj \
        data.obj hashtab.obj Image.obj Info.obj misc.obj RdFToBuf.obj
RdFToDat.obj \
        RdFToI.obj rgb.obj scan.obj simx.obj WrFFrBuf.obj parse.obj \
        WrFFrDat.obj WrFFrI.obj

.c.obj:
        cl -DFOR_MSW /c $<

target = ..\lib\libXpm.lib

all: $(target)

$(target): $(obj)
        lib /out:$(target) $(obj)
---- snip ----

Makefile for MinGW:

---- snip ----
src = Attrib.c CrBufFrI.c CrDatFrI.c create.c CrIFrBuf.c CrIFrDat.c \
        data.c hashtab.c Image.c Info.c misc.c RdFToBuf.c RdFToDat.c \
        RdFToI.c rgb.c scan.c simx.c WrFFrBuf.c parse.c \
        WrFFrDat.c WrFFrI.c

obj = Attrib.o CrBufFrI.o CrDatFrI.o create.o CrIFrBuf.o CrIFrDat.o \
        data.o hashtab.o Image.o Info.o misc.o RdFToBuf.o RdFToDat.o \
        RdFToI.o rgb.o scan.o simx.o WrFFrBuf.o parse.o \
        WrFFrDat.o WrFFrI.o

.c.o:
        gcc -O2 -DFOR_MSW -c $<

target = libXpm.a