On 01/11/12 01:09, Kartik Agaram wrote:
I was building vim with python support today, and I noticed that it
gives a linker error if multibyte support isn't also enabled. Is that
unexpected, or is the usual model to include features and all their
dependencies?

I don't know. Python requiring multibyte sounds strange, but Python certainly requires expression evaluation. Maybe there is something in the way Vim <=> Python calls are coded which requires UTF-8 or even UTF-16le strings (which would require +multi_byte), I don't know.

+multi_byte is part of the Big featureset. What exactly does that contain (in addition to the Normal featureset)? Hm, +arabic ++builtin-terms +conceal +cscope +emacs_tags +farsi +keymap +langmap +mouse_dec +mouse_netterm +mouse_sgr +multi_byte +rightleft +signs. Nothing very obvious AFAICT.

OTOH I'd think that the Tiny, Normal and Big featuresets have had more testing than the rest, with +perl +python etc. usually added to a Big (or Huge) build. Which platform (W32, W64, Linux, Mac) are you on? Maybe you've found a bug in the way features are enabled or disabled depending on each other?

Best regards,
Tony.
--
ARTHUR: Did you say shrubberies?
ROGER:  Yes.  Shrubberies are my trade.  I am a shrubber.  My name is Roger