On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Charles Campbell
<charles.e.campb...@nasa.gov> wrote:
> Charles Campbell wrote:
>>
>> Christian J. Robinson wrote:

>>> *snip*
>>>
>>> If your Vim is built with Motif, it simply will not be able to use the
>>> "new style" fonts like "Luxi Mono"; you will be stuck with the old
>>> style complicated font names with a lot of dashes.  The two styles
>>> have specific names but I never really remember what they are.
>>>
>>> So the question is, why is your Vim no longer building with GTK, but
>>> rather with Motif? (It can not be built with both.)
>>>
>> I think this is a promising line of inquiry.
>>
>> First, checking on presence of gtk2...
>>
>> console/ xorn? rpm -q gtk2
>> gtk2-2.18.9-10.el6.x86_64
>> gtk2-2.18.9-10.el6.i686
>> console/ xorn? rpm -q gtk2-devel
>> gtk2-devel-2.18.9-10.el6.x86_64
>>
>> So it seems both gtk2 and the developer package are installed.
>>
> Found out some more about the loss of Luxi Mono.
>
> As I mentioned earlier, this problem occurred on a work computer; it has
> been set to automatically update (Scientific Linux 6.3).
>
> Configure expects a number of header files to be in /usr/include, but the
> update has pushed the gtk related ones to /usr/include/gtk-2.0.  I've made
> links:
>
> gtk -> gtk-2.0/gtk/
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      11 Feb 11 09:53 gdk -> gtk-2.0/gdk/
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      18 Feb 11 09:53 gdk-pixbuf ->
> gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf/
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      23 Feb 11 09:54 gdk-pixbuf-xlib ->
> gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf-xlib/
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      12 Feb 11 09:58 gio -> glib-2.0/gio/
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      13 Feb 11 09:58 glib -> glib-2.0/glib/
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      16 Feb 11 09:58 gobject -> glib-2.0/gobject/
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      22 Feb 11 09:58 glib-object.h ->
> glib-2.0/glib-object.h
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      18 Feb 11 09:59 gmodule.h -> glib-2.0/gmodule.h
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      15 Feb 11 10:00 glib.h -> glib-2.0/glib.h
>
> Unfortunately, this isn't quite adequate.  I'm still getting an error:
>
> || In file included from /usr/include/glib/galloca.h:34,
> ||                  from /usr/include/glib.h:32,
> ||                  from /usr/include/gobject/gtype.h:26,
> ||                  from /usr/include/gobject/gboxed.h:26,
> ||                  from /usr/include/glib-object.h:25,
> ||                  from /usr/include/gio/gioenums.h:30,
> ||                  from /usr/include/gio/giotypes.h:30,
> ||                  from /usr/include/gio/gio.h:28,
> ||                  from /usr/include/gdk/gdkapplaunchcontext.h:30,
> ||                  from /usr/include/gdk/gdk.h:32,
> ||                  from /usr/include/gtk/gtk.h:32,
> ||                  from conftest.c:23:
> /usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/gtypes.h|34 col 24 error| glibconfig.h: No such
> file or directory
>
> Anyway, so configure decides that gtk isn't available, gui is not enabled,
> and Luxi Mono is no longer available to vim (although it is on my computer).
>
> Regards,
> C Campbell
>

> and I cannot find a glibconfig.h under /usr/include (literally; I used the
> [...]

I don't know much about the "Scientific Linux" distribution.
But on Ubuntu, it is possible to do...

  $ sudo apt-get build-dep vim-gnome

... which installs all packages required to be able to build vim-gnome.

This installs gtk2 among plenty of other things if not already installed.

Doing a google search suggests that  "yum-builddep" is the equivalent
feature on Scientific Linux.

So have you tried the following command?

  $ sudo yum-builddep vim-gnome

(not sure whether "vim-gnome" is the package name on your distrib for the
GTK2 version of Vim).

Then should you need to clean the configure cache and rebuild Vim
from sources:

  $ cd vim
  $ rm -f src/auto/config.cache
  $ ./configure --with-feature=huge --enable-gui=gtk2

Regards
Dominique