Christian Brabandt wrote:

> > > Bram,
> > > one of my annoyances with vim currently is, that when using n/N for
> > > searching the direction depends on the previous search command. But I
> > > usually forget if I initially used / or ? and then my brain gets stuck
> > > whether I need to press n to search backwards or N. (e.g. I start a
> > > search backwards using '?' and want to go further upwards and press
> > > routinely 'N', but this moves back downwards again).
> > >
> > > I find it easier to know that n searches downwards while N searches
> > > upwards, since I usually only know whether I want to go further down or
> > > up, so I can reliably hit n to go further down and N to go further up to
> > > the next match.
> > >
> > > This is what the attached patch enables, by adding the new flag 'N' to
> > > the 'cpo' setting.
> >
> > Well, instead of adding an option, what about:
> >
> >     :noremap n /<CR>
> >     :noremap N ?<CR>
> >

> I wouldn't call this intuitively:
> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/6ff8586688e52b7d

It seems the main objection is that the search history is affected.
A generic solution to that would be a command modifier that does not
store the pattern in history.

We could also avoid storing an empty string in search history, even
without a modifier.  Searching for an empty string is useless.

Actually, now that I try it I don't see the empty string being stored.
Tim apparently used // instead of /.  I don't see why.

--
DENNIS: Oh, very nice. King, eh!  I expect you've got a palace and fine
        clothes and courtiers and plenty of food.  And how d'you get that?  By