Michael Henry wrote:
All,

By default in Gvim, creating or destroying a vertical split
causes the left-side scrollbar to automatically be created or
destroyed.  There appears to be some kind of timing-related bug
wherein Gvim is not always able to maintain the value of
'columns' at its original value.

To demonstrate this, save the following snippet of VimL as
``scrollbar-column-growth.vim``::

   function! TestColumns()
       let c1=&columns
       wincmd v
       let c2=&columns
       wincmd o
       let c3=&columns
       sleep 250m
       echomsg c1 c2 c3 &columns
   endfunction
   map <silent> <Space> :call TestColumns()<CR>

Then, invoke Gvim as::

   gvim -u NONE '+set nocp | source scrollbar-column-growth.vim'

Each time the spacebar is pressed, the value of 'columns' will be
displayed at four points in time.  The first and last values show
the initial and final 'columns' values.  The bug doesn't always
manifest itself with each keypress, but when the bug occurs, the
final 'columns' value will have grown larger than the initial value.

Try pressing spacebar multiple times in a row, then looking at
the resulting :messages.  Here is a sample run::
   80 80 80 80
   80 80 80 80
   80 80 82 82
   82 82 84 84
   84 84 86 86
   86 86 88 86
   86 86 86 86
   86 86 86 88

As you can see, sometimes the 'columns' value is always correct,
sometimes it goes up and comes back down (e.g., ``86 86 88
86``), and sometimes it goes up permanently.

I can work around the problem by removing the default ``L`` in
'guioptions'; the bug manifests only when a scrollbar is setup
to appear automatically using ``L`` or ``R``.

This test was done on Fedora 17 Linux with a self-compiled Vim
with :version output shown after my signature, but this is a
problem that have been around for a long time (years, I think,
but I've only just now isolated it to a somewhat repeatable
test).

Hello!

Just wanted to note that I was able to duplicate something of this issue (using Scientific Linux 6.3). I hit space a lot, held it down a bit, etc. I'd get straight 189s, then after quite a bit, I got 191s.

Regards,
Chip Campbell