Hi,

Axel Bender wrote:
> How about implementing a hightlighting of the pattern searched for in
> :g/.../ expressions? At times the resulting list is quite long and it
> is difficult to identify the pattern. Highlighting it would be of
> great benefit (at least for me...).

the last time somebody asked this question I wrote this little function

    function! PrintWithHighlighting()
        let line = getline('.')
        let ms = match(line, @/)
        let me = matchend(line, @/)

        if ms != -1
            echohl none
            echo strpart(line, 0, ms)
            echohl Search
            echon strpart(line, ms, me - ms)
            echohl none
            echon strpart(line, me, strlen(line))
        else
            echo line
        endif
    endfunction

    command! P call PrintWithHighlighting()

You can use it like this

    :g/you pattern/P

I have never tested it much and I think I did not get any feedback if
it behaved as wanted.

In the same thread somebody else replied with suggesting a script that
probably can be found on vim.org and might be tested more.
Alas, I cannot find the original thread at the moment.

Regards,
Jürgen

in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.     (Calvin)