Manuel Ortega wrote:

> Now that there is no longer pressure to quickly cram everything in to avoid
> patchlevel 1000 and up (too late), shouldn't the regex engine stuff and the
> flurry of pythoniana be moved into a 7.4beta branch, or vim-experimental
> branch or something like that?
>
> There is just so much build failure and crash-or-hang-after-building going
> on as a result of both of these recent flurries.  The stability of my
> workflow hinges now on setting 're=1' in my .vimrc.  I suspect many others
> are doing the same, which means we are not testers of the new regex
> engine---in which case we shouldn't have to deal with the crashes and hangs
> surrounding a severely buggy new feature (one that as of yet not only
> provides no advantage over its predecessor, but performs significantly
> worse, and looks like it will be a long time before it constitutes an
> improvement).
>
> It's not an option to just stop doing 'hg pull -u' until the Bug Swarm goes
> away, because other patches that aren't related to regex or Python are
> being interspersed.

I do run tests before sending out a patch.  Unfortunately for the new
regexp engine there are not enough tests, as we have noticed.

If you don't want to risk running in something that slipped by the
tests, sync to Vim 7.3.969 and stay there for a while.

For me it is important to get many people to test the head version,
otherwise bugs are only detected after a release, and that's much worse.
This has happened before, just not enough people trying out the latest
version.

--
Friends?  I have lots of friends!  In fact, I have all episodes ever made.