On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:46:25 AM UTC+9, ZyX wrote:
> > I cannot think of a plugin that depends on having a nested :redir throw
> > an error.
>
> Refer to my message. Nested :redir throws an error only when context is
> switched, it is possible to have
>
>     redir => commands
>         command
>     redir => mappings
>         map
>     redir => imappings
>         imap
>     " and so on
>     redir END
>
> > That's just bad coding practice, and it could easily be
> > corrected in the plugin.
>
> I completely agree there. Also refer to my message, I explained there how
> this situation may easily be worked around (just making it always write to
> target when any :redir is issued is enough for plugins to work; finishing
> redirections to local variables after function finishes will delete stale
> redirs in all cases that make sense to write from my point of view and even
> not finishing should be rare enough and not result in much harm: at maximum
> vim killed by OOM killer or a few MiBs long file). I have never actually seen
> plugins with the above code though.
>
> > Do you have an actual example? As I've shown,
> > contrarily there are plugins that (when working together) are indeed
> > broken due to what I would call an implementation deficiency.

I'm thinking capture() is not replacement of redir. So I'm thinking this issue
should be separated with redir's issue.

1. The redir have a problem currently, But capture() doesn't.
2. Reasonable to implement.
3. Easy to use. Possible to write per one line.
4. I know there are some users who want capture().

I'm thinking it's good idea to solve some problem.

Thanks.