Bram Moolenaar wrote:

Daniel Harding wrote:

The attached patch is a follow-up to patch 7.3.117 (Problem:  When
changing the font size, only MS-Windows limits the window size.
Solution:  Also limit the window size on other systems. (Roland
Puntaier)).  That patch fixed the problem that on non-MS-Windows
systems, increasing the font size could cause the gVim window to grow
larger than the physical screen.

A similar problem exists on non-MS-Windows systems when setting lines or
columns.  According to the documentation for 'lines' ( or 'columns'),
"Vim limits the number of lines [columns] to what fits on the screen."
This is true on MS-Windows, but not true on other systems (in my case,
Linux).  The attached patch makes the behavior consistent with the
documentation on all systems.

Does this work correctly when Vim stretches over more than one monitor?

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back on this. Based on my testing, I don't think the behavior on non-MS-Windows systems is any worse with the patch than previously. Here's the behavior I observed with multiple monitors:

On MS-Windows (with or without the patch), setting lines=999 causes the number of lines to be limited to what will fit on the monitor the gVim window is in (if the window spans multiple monitors, one of them is selected and the window is moved to that monitor, but I have not been able to determine by what method the selection is made).

On Linux (Gentoo) without the patch, setting lines=999 actually gives 999 lines and sends the bottom of the window well past the bottom of the screen. With the patch, setting lines=999 limits the number of lines to what will fit in the total height of all the monitors (e.g. if the desktop is extended onto two monitors side-by-side, the height of the tallest monitor; if the desktop is extended onto two monitors one above the other, the combined height of the monitors).

So while the behavior with the patch on Linux doesn't exactly match MS-Windows in the multiple-monitor case, I believe it is certainly no worse than before the patch, and in the single-monitor case, definitely does what the documentation says, whereas without the patch, the behavior did not match the documentation.

Cheers,

-Daniel