On Jul 23, 2013 9:24 AM, "Gary Johnson" <garyj...@spocom.com> wrote:

> On 2013-07-23, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
> >
> > On Jul 20, 2013 2:28 AM, "Gary Johnson" wrote:
> > >
> > > On 2013-07-19, Dimitar DIMITROV wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Dimitar,
> > >
> > > It would be a big help to those of us with threading mail readers if
> > > you would be sure that your replies include "Re: " at the start of
> > > the Subject.
> >
> > This has nothing to do with threads. There is a special field added to
messages
> > when you reply that contains unique ID of the message being replied to
and
> > *this* field makes mail readers able to arrange messages correctly.
>
> I'm well aware of those fields, and my mail reader (mutt) handles
> them quite well.  It is also capable of threading messages that lack
> those fields and have only "Re: " in front of the original subject
> to go by.  Dimitar's messages did not contain those headers, though,
> and since his Subject lines didn't even include the "Re: ", I
> assumed it would be a stretch for his mail client to do any more
> than allow him to add the "Re: ".

Good to know something new. One my mailer ignores everything but special
header, another splits threads on theme change (I did not realize I was
getting separate threads for this very reason though), but does not join
messages in threads if they lack field in question. So I assumed this field
is required for all mailers without performing more research.

email to vim_dev+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.