> Make sure you have a recent version of the source and clean up before you
> build.

Thanks, there really is no need to waste time teaching me how to build Vim.
Anyway I found the cause: it is Python that is broken, not Vim. If Python3
is installed properly (as opposed to python3X.dll simply copied over),
everything works. Is it worth adding to the documentation or is it only me
not liking installers?