On Mon, July 29, 2013 14:59, Dimitar DIMITROV wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Not sure why /\_.* matches at every line Vs only once...
>> I would expect a single match at start of file because \_. matches any
>> char including end of line and * is greedy
>> /pattern\_.* does what I expect: it matches from pattern to end of file
>>
>> Dimitar
>
> An update/clarification on this:
>
> :%s/\_.* does correctly erase the whole file. What is actually incorrect
> and I
> didn't explain it well in my above statement is the behaviour of n, N. /,
> :/
> So, n goes to every line Vs stay at the first byte of the file and never
> move

I think this is correct. \_.* doesn't say, Vim should start matching only
at the start of the file, so Vim will try matching at each line again.

I think, Vim has always done this and restarted trying to match
after linebreaks.

If you want to keep matching at the start of the file, use the \%^ atom.

regards,
Christian