The following problem appears in vim 7.3.882 and 7.4b.19 on Linux.

In the Vim src directory, in an 80x24 terminal, execute the
following.

    vim -N -u NONE -c 'r !ls' +0 -c 'syn on' -c 'syn match Error /\.c\zs\n.*/'

Scroll down a bit and you will see a few files highlighted, starting
with arabic.h, buffer.c and config.aap.in.  Continue scrolling down
the buffer until some of the highlighted files scroll off the top of
the display.  Now scroll back up.  None of the files that were
scrolled off the top are highlighted any more.

Syntax highlighting in general seems to work well.  Patterns I use
that do not include '\zs\n' work well.  It seems to be just patterns
containing '\zs\n' that have this problem.  I don't know if this is
a bug in Vim or a known limitation of certain patterns.

The problem I'm really trying to solve is to highlight certain
elements in a buffer containing the output of a static analysis
tool.  The first line of each error report is an easily identifiable
pattern.  I want to highlight the second line of each report, which
contains the error description and which doesn't seem to follow any
pattern.

Regards,
Gary