Ben Fritz wrote:

> On Sunday, August 11, 2013 12:52:16 PM UTC-5, v...@googlecode.com wrote:
> > Comment #7 on issue 28 by brammool...@gmail.com: out of the box, gVim
> >
> > 7.3.46 for Win32 cannot write swap files on Windows 7
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=28
> >

> > I do not see the problem "out of the box".
> >
> > Starting gVim from the desktop results in a swap
> >
> > file "c:\Users\bram\Desktop\_.swp".
> >
> > How did you start gVim then?
> >
> > How did you manage to start in a directory that is not writable?
>
> When I launch a newly installed Vim with no files, it always launches
> in C:\Program Files (x86)\vim or something like that, which is not
> writable unless you run Vim elevated with admin privileges.

How do you launch Vim?  Do you really mean Vim or gVim?  I suppose gVim,
since from a console you always have a current directory.

> Since the
> directory is not writable, it falls back to C:\Temp or C:\TMP which
> does not exist. Vim should use $TEMP and $TMP instead. These go
> somewhere under C:\Users\yourusername on Windows 7.

I don't think that $TEMP is a good default current directory.  The
desktop isn't so bad, although $HOME is probably what most people
expect.  Obviously this only matters if you do ":w file".

The main problem is: How can Vim know that the current directory is not
given by the user?

88. Every single time you press the 'Get mail' button...it does get new mail.