On Aug 22, 2013 8:05 PM, "Christian Brabandt" <cbli...@256bit.org> wrote:

> On Thu, August 22, 2013 17:23, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> > Christian Brabandt wrote:

> >> Like the attached patch does.
> >
> > Hmm, I wonder if the extra list elements are going to cause a problem in
> > some existing script.
>
> I don't think, it will make a difference for the optional list-argument
> of the setpos() call. It might only make a difference for the list
> returned by the getpos() call now having 5 elements. If you're worried
> about that, simply let getpos('.') always return 4 elements (though
> this makes it harder to determine the prefered column).

I bet there is a bunch of scripts using 4-variable lets. Simple grep over
the mess in $HOME/.vam (I hold all but my plugins there) found at least
LaTeX_box plugin (ftplugin/latex-box/common.vim) and python-mode-klen
(autoload/pymode/lint.vim, though it should have used line() and not
getpos()). I do not know how many plugins do
    let pos=getpos('.')
    let [a,b,c,d]=pos
, use negative indices or something else. Why not use optional argumet to
getpos() then? Note: optional argument should make it return a dictionary.
5 indistinguishable  numbers are way too much.

Also check out winsaveview(), particularly .curswant key. Maybe there is no
need to modify getpos().

email to vim_dev+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.