Hi James!

On Mo, 21 Okt 2013, James McCoy wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 03:04:45PM +0200, Christian Brabandt wrote:
> > Bram,
> > when using visual block_mode and replacing the selected block with
> > <Enter>, Vim currently does not break the line, but inserts the
> > linebreak literally, e.g. when doing this:
> >
> > 10o12345<ESC>9k02l<C-V>9jr<CR> you are left with:
>
> I haven't had a chance to test this yet, but would it allow removing the
> “ (without a line break)” part of “:help v_b_c”?
>
> I'd recently done something like <C-v>9j4lcfoo<CR>bar<Esc> and was
> surprised that the text was removed from all lines, but only the first
> line had the "foo<CR>bar" change applied.

No, because I was looking at visual replace, while you were experiencing
a different problem, when changing text. I think the problem in your
case is, that the new line becomes smaller then before, and so the
change is aborted.

You can actually force to make Vim think it is valid to repeat the
change for each visually selected block, by making sure the resulting
line will be longer then the previous line before breaking the line. But
it still won't repeat the linebreak.

I'll look into that issue, but those block changing operations are
complicated to get right and I am not sure, I can make it work
correctly. So I can't promise to be able to make a patch.

regards,
Christian
--
Nachbarn denken, es hätte bei Ihnen gebrannt, wenn Sie einfach die
Matratzen in den Garten werfen und die Fensterscheiben von innen mit