On 28/10/13 14:00, Andre Sihera wrote:
On 28/10/13 02:58, Paul LeoNerd Evans wrote:
Please explain how you are going to differentiate CTRL-I and Tab in
>  random terminal emulator. Some may be configured to output either as
>  CSI sequence, but not all. This is not simply historical artifact.
You can't. Does that matter? Some people write a :map from F12, but
some terminals lack an F12 key. Vim has no problem storing maps from
keys it knows the terminal cannot possibly generate. If users are
mapping from keys their terminal cannot type that is their problem.

I'll tell you what the real problem is. It's bare-faced arrogance like
this that all users who don't fit into the ideas of the vocal few
"obviously" have a problem.

I'll tell you one good reason why people are mapping keys from
their terminal that that cannot physically type, and that is keyboard
remote control (synergy, virtual machine environments, etc.).
I, for one, have all my F-keys mapped up onto other keys because
the host system I am using to remote control intercepts all the F-
keys before they get passed onto the remote system, so I have to
map them up.

Additionally, TAB, for example, in Japan can be a language input
modifier key for switching between kanji/kana and Roman alphabet.

My apologies. Looking at my keyboard, in this particular example the
key should be Caps Lock, not TAB. However, the principle of the
argument remains the same. International keyboards use the "not so
frequently used" keys for local idiomatic functions and so stripping
away the traditional "archaic mappings" may remove the only way of
entering a key in some situations.

Some keyboards have an additional dedicated key for this but not
all do. On a remote link you may have to use Ctrl+I to get a tab
character to come out as the tab key locally can be intercepted at
a very low level by Japanese (or other foreign) operating systems.

I do not believe I am the only one who uses keyboard/mouse remote
control to another system and edits a file in ViM, nor am I the only
one who uses a computer in more than one language and uses VIM
keyboard mappings to circumvent local system inadequacies with
regards to multi-lingual support. However, as I guarantee that most
of these other people don't "hang out" on "#vim" for most of their
lives I take the view that the "vast majority" of ViM users (including
myself) would be annoyed if their keyboard mappings just suddenly
stopped working because of a few who can't see beyond their English-
only QWERTY-compliant wire-connected keyboards.