On 11/13/2013 6:03 AM, Christian Brabandt wrote:
> On Tue, November 12, 2013 16:53, Ben Fritz wrote:
>> On Monday, November 11, 2013 10:45:15 PM UTC-6, Suresh Govindachar wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Please consider providing the feature whereby i_Ctrl-N would
>>> ignore buffers whose name begins with \\machine_name\ and
>>> machine_name is a remote machine (Microsoft Uniform Naming
>>> Convention (UNC)).
>>>

>> I think what you're really asking is for a way to exclude buffers
>> or files from being processed by insert-mode completion, if you
>> know scanning them will be slow.
>>
>> This could be true for very large file, or for files on a network
>> share, or files that require reading with autocmds to unzip them
>> or something.
>>
>> I support such an option. I like keeping 'path' fairly large for
>> searching with :find for a file, but this makes insert completion
>> very slow if I allow it to search in included files. Previously
>> when we were using ClearCase on my team, EVERY insert completion
>> that scanned other files was slow, because the ClearCase "dynamic
>> view" mapped network drive is painfully slow. I had to turn off
>> most of the completion functions. I'd certainly use a filter to
>> remove specific directories from insert completion scanning, were
>> it available.
>
> So this would mean, having a new buffer local option like
> 'completebufignore' that is off by default and could be set to
> ignore the current buffer from being processed for completion?

It's the other way around -- most of the time I want to search the
current buffer and most of the other buffers -- but want to exclude
certain remote buffers.

> Bram, what are youre thoughts regarding adding yet another option?
>
> Other suggestions?

I was thinking one could enhance the existing 'complete' with
include and exclude patterns:

  set complete+=/<include_this_pattern>,!/<exclude_this_pattern>

but I really do not know the source code and so have no idea how
viable the above scheme is.

--Suresh