On So, 22 Dez 2013, Ishfaque Jahan Rafee wrote:

> I don't know if I am in the correct position to evaluate or say this, because
> I am using Vim for less than a year now. I would love criticism, but please
> try to avoid harsh comment as much as possible.
>
> 1. Drop support for anything except Python (including vimscript)
> Reason:
> Take it from me, nobody wants to start using an editor & wants to know that,
> due to some compile time events, they can't use this plugin. I wanted to
> install Command-T plugin & came to know that, I can't install it, because I
> don't have +ruby in my vim. It sucks.

Is it Vims fault, that you didn't install the correct vim version?

> Dropping Vimscript support may be the toughest job, but think of it.
> Do you feel in your heart that, there's anyone on earth, who honestly
> want to program in vimscript? Is there anything, that can be done in
> vimscript, but can't be done in python? By loosing vimscript, you will
> be losing many years of plugin development. But look at the bright
> side. I feel a little bit frustrated, when I see the plugin I am going
> to use, was last developed 3 years before(Though it works better than

I don't understand. If the plugin works for, what is the problem, if
there wasn't any development within the last few years? Perhaps it just
works and there is not much to do. Why would that be a reason for
dropping that plugin?

> anything else I have used). Losing vimscript, you are bringing a
> revolution in development. If you are thinking no plugin will be
> developed, take a look at sublime text & see how fast it has caught up
> with emacs & vim.

I rather would not like that. It would make all of my plugins useless
and I don't feel like switching to another language. There really is no
reason to drop support for vimscript, besides making the whole community
angry.

> 2. Improved plugin management like pip. Reason:
> I am a big fan of Vundle. It is simple & does what it supposed to do. It
> downloads all the files from a git repository & adds them to the path. But
> think about a complicated plugin, plugins that are to be compiled before
> use(e.g. YouCompleteMe), or plugins like powerline, which takes quite a bit
> of setup before use. These scenarios can be vastly simplified by using things
> like pip. Lets think for a second, if you could just "pip install  powerline"
> or "pip install youcompleteme" & get the desired result, wouldn't it be
> awesome? In this way setting up a new system might be as easy as, "pip
> freeze" & "pip install -r requirements.txt".
>
> In this way, one can mark another plugin as dependency for his own one in a
> convenient way.
>
> 3. Embedded shell support like screen.vim.
> Reason:
> Screen.vim is awesome. I agree to the fullest. But it uses an external
> program & the support it provides is not native. Now a days Vim is becoming a
> de-facto standard for interpreted language development in UNIX. In
> interpreted language development, having a shell with your editor is pretty
> much a requirement. Please don't let these people run to something like
> Sublime Text or Emacs for this. Embedded shell support would greatly help
> debugging of compiled language development too.
>
> 4. (This one is GVim specific, because I don't think its possible on Terminal
> vim). I am a big fan of preview-mode for latex in emacs. But nothing like
> that exists on vim.
>
> 5. Documentation support at point. Plugin's like YouCompleteMe provides
> language documentation. But it opens a window at top, rather than at the
> place where I am typing. The author of the plugin said its a Vim limitation.
> So I would urge people to take a notice here.

Perhaps you'd like to stay with emacs or sublime or whatever you used
before. Vim isn't about making it an emacs clone.

Best,
Christian