Tony Mechelynck wrote:
Using gvim 7.4.141 (Huge) for GTK2/GNOME2, changeset 2ca470c6096e

g:loaded_netrw == g:loaded_netrwPlugin == 'v149'

$VIMRUNTIME/plugin/gzip.vim dated 2010 Mar 10

While viewing ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/tinderbox-builds/comm-central-trunk-linux64/1389382240/ hit <Enter> with the cursor on comm-central-trunk-linux64-bm01-universal-build1210.txt.gz (the only file in that directory) (or similarly in other non-softlink recent subfolders of the same parent)

Error detected while processing function gzip#read:
line   39:
E19: Mark has invalid line number
line   44:
Error: Could not read uncompressed file
press ENTER or type command to continue

After dismissing the |hit-enter-prompt|, the file is then (AFAICT) correctly opened. (It is the log of a failed build of SeaMonkey, and I was looking for the reason of the failure, which is: wrong Python version, as seen at lines 1006 sqq.)
Hello, Tony:

I haven't found the source of the problem yet. As you know, I wrote netrw -- and Bram M. wrote gzip.vim.

Netrw uses tempname() to hold the remote file locally in a /tmp directory.
gzip.vim also uses tempname() to hold a copy of the compressed file and the decompressed file.
tempname() returns the same directory (different file names) each time.
I can quiet the first message by changing gzip.vim#85:

    execute "silent '[,']w " . tmpe_esc
    execute "silent! '[,']w " . tmpe_esc

Using DechoRemOn and Decho, tmpe_esc is good and the resutling file is readable. The very next line was a if !filereadable(tmp) test; it fails causing error message#2.

In my test, netrw created 5.gz, gzip.vim created 10.gz, and then complained.

I'm not sure what to do at the moment, but I wanted you to know that at least I saw your message.

Regards,
C Campbell