Hello!

I thought I'd share the "solution" to "what happened to luxi mono?", just in case anyone else was being afflicted in a similar fashion:

* symptom: the font I prefer to use, Luxi Mono Bold 11, was no longer available (I use a lot of math-oriented utf-8 characters, which Luxi Mono supports well) * Turns out that I wasn't getting gnome-gtk2 anymore during new compiles; instead, I was getting motif, hence no luxi mono * I get "automatic updates" on my system (Scientific Linux 6.4) (not that I want them, its just the way It Has To Be on my government computer) * fallback solution: I compiled vim on my home computer (SL6.3) and brought the executable to work (via ftp, since we're not to use flashsticks anymore) * new symptom, just happened a day or two ago: I was not getting any vim menus. * tried a backup version of vim (also compiled on my home computer) from a month ago -- it too exhibited the "no vim menu" issue. That vim certainly didn't used to have that problem...
* all versions of vim tried had +menu and has("gui_running") was true
* got suspicious that auto-updating was involved, so I recompiled vim on my work computer, which I haven't bothered to do for many months. It successfully compiled with gtk and had menus!

So, thanks goes to whomever fixed the gtk system on SL6.4.

Regards,
Chip Campbell