Hi,

Ingo Karkat wrote:
> On 14-Mar-2014 08:20 +0100, Jürgen Krämer wrote:
>>
>> Viktor Kojouharov wrote:
>>> To easily use the remote-expr feature. You need to start a new
>>> instance of vim and point it to the current running vim server. And I
>>> need the full executable path in order to start the remote-expr. Vim
>>> is usually in the path on linux systems, but that's not the case on
>>> windows and macvim
>>>

>> at least on Windows Vim puts its own directory at the end of the %PATH%
>> environment variable. You can check this with ":echo $PATH". So there is
>> no need to use a full path to the Vim executable.
>
> If this is for a plugin, I'd also keep this Simple and Stupid: Just
> allow (users, individual systems) to specify a full path via a
> configuration variable, and default to "vim" found via the PATH, which
> should already work on most systems.
>
> Even with a suggested new v:progpath variable, you'd need to handle
> older Vim versions, anyway.

I think it should clarify: Vim puts its own directory at the end of $PATH
while it is running, not during some installation routine. So outside of
Vim the path might still miss the Vim directory, but inside Vim itself and
all inherited environments of programs or shells (:sh) that are started
from Vim its directory is included in the %PATH% variable.

Regards,
Jürgen

in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.     (Calvin)