LCD 47 <lcd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19 March 2014, Cade Forester <ahx2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Looks like you made a copy of f_sort() and modified it a bit.  That's a
>> >
>> > lot of duplicate code.  Better move the common stuff into a function
>> >
>> > that's used by both sort() and sortuniq().
>>
>> Fixed
>
>     How about separating it from sort()?  That is, an uniq() function
> that would remove duplicates from an already sorted list (results would
> be undefined if the input list is not sorted).  That would be consistent
> with how uniq(1) works on UNIX.

uniq() should also make sense on non sorted list: it should
remove adjacent identical items. This is consistent with the
UNIX uniq or std::unique() in c++.

In other words, I'd expect this for example:

  :echo uniq([1, 2, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1])
  [1, 2, 3, 2, 1]

I'm surprised this did not exist already.

Dominique