On Saturday, April 5, 2014 2:02:23 PM UTC-5, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> You can record into a register and replay that.

This is not an option for the desired use case, of creating a plugin to
automatically insert closing parentheses and the like as you type the opening
character. For that we need to be able to move the cursor in insert mode
without breaking undo and without knowing in advance that we need to be
recording a macro. One cannot start recording a macro with a mapping, 'q' does
not function in a mapping according to the help. So the user would manually
need to start recording before typing every single time, so mapping every
insert-mode entry key would not only be annoying, it wouldn't work. Plus, one
would want a plugin such as this to be itself recordable in a macro, which
can't be done if you must record a macro to accomplish the task.