Comment #4 on issue 215 by john.b.l...@gmail.com: ft=sh highlighting thinks . is a valid character in variable names.

Gary commented:

Setting g:sh_noisk doesn't seem to affect the syntax highlighting of '.' using Vim >7.4.236 and syntax/sh.vim version 132.

I tested it carefully, sh.vim 132 and 133.  Maybe:

- Changing it after loading sh.vim has no effect, even reloading sh.vim won't work. Did you put the setting in .vimrc?

    - g:sh_isk overrides it too, if you have that set it will use that.

    - on some colour schemes, the change is subtle.

ewtoo...@gmail.com commented:
...The default behaviour should not include '.'.

I agree; even with ksh a dot is only seen as part of a variable name within a ${...} construct, in your example $PATH.text is parsed as ${PATH}.text even with ksh.

Note that a syntax colouring file for .sh files IMO is a heroic undertaking, mind boggling in difficulty for even one flavour of shell script, let alone one that copes with the old Bourne shell, bash, ksh, dash, ash, and zsh.

Regards, John