I asked this over on StackOverflow [1] and was advised to come here. Hopefully
there are some Windows/Visual Studio experts here who can help.

I am a non-admin user on a Windows 7 (32 bit) computer, and also an admin user
on a Windows 7 64-bit computer. I am trying to build the Vim text editor from
source code to install on the 32-bit machine (to a place I have access, like
C:\Vim).

I have successfully built both a 64-bit and 32-bit version of Vim on my 64-bit
computer. Both of them run fine on the 64-bit computer. I can verify with
"dumpbin.exe" as detailed at [2] that the 32-bit build really actually is a
32-bit build. Doing ":version" within Vim while running the 32-bit build also
confirms this.

But when I try running that same executable on the 32-bit machine, I see "This
version of gvim.exe is not compatible with the version of Windows you're
running. Check you computer's system information to see whether you need a x86
(32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software
publisher." For kicks, I tried the 64-bit build of Vim and got the same message.
I tried setting compatibility mode on the executable before running it, but get
the same result. Additionally, only "Windows Server 2008" and a few version of
"Windows Vista" appear in the list of compatibility modes: I was going to try
Windows XP but it does not appear in the list. I actually discovered this by
running the compiled install.exe, but Vim itself does the same thing.

Now, when I download an installer from cream.sf.net instead of trying to build
my own Vim, Vim installs fine and then launches fine. Furthermore, I can see the
full list I originally expected in the compatibility mode list of the installed
executable. So I must be doing something wrong when I build.

The only difference I can think of, aside from running from a packaged
installer, is that I'm compiling on a 64-bit machine, and using Visual Studio
2010 rather than Cygwin to build. But it is very strange that neither the 32-bit
nor the 64-bit build works; I would always expect at least one of them to work!
What could I be doing wrong?

[1]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23478373/this-version-is-not-compatible-with-the-version-of-windows-youre-running
[2]