Hello!

I have a plugin which updates signs when a CursorHold auto-command fires (among
other auto-commands).  When `updatetime` is set to a low value, say anything
under 100, and highlighting is in effect, I see highlighting glitches on many
individual characters: specifically the foreground and background colours
differ from the characters around them.

Here's how I (and hopefully you) can reproduce the problem:

$ cd
$ mv .vimrc vimrc
$ cat > .vimrc <<EOF
set updatetime=50
syntax enable
EOF
$ mv .vim vim
$ mkdir .vim
$ cp -r vim/bundle/vim-gitgutter/{autoload,plugin} .vim

The last step assumes you already have vim-gitgutter
(https://github.com/airblade/vim-gitgutter) installed.

Then edit a file which triggers syntax highlighting and make some changes.  At
this point I always see a number of highlighting glitches.  They can be cleared
with a redraw.

As far as I can tell, the specific filetype doesn't matter.  When I edit a
plain text file, it's only when I specify a filetype which causes some
highlighting that the glitches start.

I used the HiLinkTrace plugin to investigate whether the characters with
glitches have different highlights from their neighbours.  It didn't report any
differences, which leads me to think that the highlight settings haven't been
changed; instead there's a bug in the rendering.

I'm using Vim 7.4.258, specifically MacVim.  I get the glitches in the terminal
version (mvim -v) but not the gui version.  Other people on different OS's have
reported the same problem, always in terminal vim.

At this point I've investigated as far as I can.  Any help would be much
appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Andrew Stewart