To fix, add `LC_ALL=C` before sed.
For example:

 $ export LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8
 $ cat runtime/doc/vim-fr.1 | sed 's/.*//' > /dev/null
sed: RE error: illegal byte sequence
 $ cat runtime/doc/vim-fr.1 | LC_ALL=C sed 's/.*//' > /dev/null
 $ # no errors
Modifying $LC_ALL temporarily fixes the problem.

Of course, in stead of adding LC_ALL before the `sed's,
we can add it at more macro level... I mean, before using installman.sh:
  $ LC_ALL=C /bin/sh ./installman.sh
or more globally
  $ LC_ALL=C sudo make install
suppresses the errors of sed.

Portability
I don't know that which shell supports modifying a variable temporarily.

Reference
+ http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19242275/
+ http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11287564/
(Sorry for choosing stackoverflow as references, but it actually works.)