(The following assumes I haven't missed something about the Vim
development process during my extended absence from vim-{dev/use}.)

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 3:39 PM, Bram Moolenaar <b...@moolenaar.net> wrote:

> Lokesh Mandvekar wrote:
>
>> I was hoping syntax highlighting for docker could be included by default in
>> vim. The files can be found here:
>> https://github.com/docker/docker/tree/master/contrib/syntax/vim
>>
>> Would the BSD license cause any trouble in this matter?
>
> I prefer the author sending the file to me, so that it's explicit that
> it is OK to include in the distribution.
>
> I don't see a License statement in the file itself.  I would have to
> include the LICENSE file somehow.
>
>  /// Bram Moolenaar -- b...@moolenaar.net -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\

As with the Docker Zsh completion file that just got included in
upstream Zsh, I'd prefer that this doesn't make it into Vim "proper".
Including it in another project just makes changes harder to
propagate.  Instead of taking just a pull request against the Docker
repo, a change goes through the idiosyncratic (and slower) Vim runtime
files change process (which apparently still involves emailing files
in the year 2014).

I think the state of the Vim ecosystem would be much better if:

1. Vim shipped with (or at least advocated the use of) a reasonable
plugin/addon/package manager
    - This would at least discourage the poor manageability of "Just
untar this into ~/.vim"

2. Vim didn't distribute (m/)any language-/tool-specific addons
    - They contribute to the amount of maintenance work Bram has to do
    - They detract from the amount of work that can be done on core Vim
    - They can't be updated as easily as they can if developed independently
    - They're subject to Vim's licensing (... kind of?).  (At a
minimum, licensing has to be considered.  In the separately-developed
scenario, it's simply not a concern.)
    - They're weirdly tied to a single (point of failure) author.

3. Projects (like Docker) that have Vim files would set them up in a
way usable by (a) Vim plugin manager(s).
    - "Via pathogen, the usual way..."¹ seems a bit glib/useless

#'s 1 and 2 are obviously out-of-scope for this Docker-specific
request.  But #3 should be easily achievable, AFAICT:

My preferred plugin manager, Vundle², for example, makes installing
the Docker syntax files as simple³ as adding one of the following to
`.vimrc` or equivalent:

```
" if installing from scratch:
Plugin 'docker/docker', {'rtp': 'contrib/syntax/vim/'}

" if you already have `docker/docker` checked out:
Plugin 'file:///home/bhaskell/git/docker/contrib/syntax/vim'
```

--
Best,
Ben

¹:
https://github.com/docker/docker/tree/cb47ddd968747091fd1b3d408dd36c4c2086e69f/contrib/syntax/vim#installation
²: https://github.com/gmarik/Vundle.vim
³: "simple", and in this case, amazingly inefficient (since it clones
the whole Docker repo).  "simple" != "perfect".  With Pathogen, on the
other hand, you could download an archive of just that
`contrib/syntax/vim/` directory.  But that's an extra (manual!) step.