Hi there,

ftplugin/python.vim and indent/sass.vim (and perhaps others...) reset some
settings from my vimrc

My ~/.vimrc has:
    set noexpandtab
    set tabstop=4
    set shiftwidth=4
    set softtabstop=4

ftplugin/python.vim does:
    setlocal expandtab shiftwidth=4 softtabstop=4 tabstop=8

and indent/sass.vim does:
    setlocal autoindent sw=2 et

This is rather annoying IMHO, I don't want to start a tabs vs. spaces
discussion, but I almost exclusively use tab indentation with a ts/sts/sw of 4.
Having this suddenly reset in spite of my ~/.vimrc settings is quite unexpected.

I know I can re-reset these settings with aug, which is what I'm doing now,
but I really don't want to set the same default settings for lots of filetypes,
and it's even more annoying on "foreign" machines where I can now quickly write
a basic vimrc, and have most things work.

I don't know if this is a general trend, or that there are just two files that
do this, a quick grep seems to indicate that these files are the exception,
rather than the rule. I propose to either:
a) Never overwrite settings set if set in vimrc
b) Don't set these settings

a) would obviously be better, but seems difficult[1]. If someone knows a better
way than this StackOverflow answer, I'll be happy to write a patch for that,
though. If not, I propose b) and don't set these options (unless perhaps it's
absolutely required by a filetype, which it's not for Python & SASS).

The reason for a fairly lengthy mail for such a comparatively minor issue that
is took me well over half a hour (plus frustration) writing SASS files a month
ago, and now it's taken me more than that to figure out where this Python
setting came from (plus frustration over the last week)... This is one of the
few times Vim actually got in my way, rather than being helpful.

Thanks,
Martin

PS.
I emailed the maintainer of the sass.vim file (as listed on the top) about this,
but never got a reply... python.vim doesn't seem to have an active maintainer
(Bram did this change).

1: http://stackoverflow.com/q/6480170/660921