> On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 11:31:12 PM UTC+3, Christian Brabandt wrote:
>> Hi Bidit!
>>
>> On Do, 16 Apr 2015, Bidit Mazumder wrote:
>>
>> > First, I would like to thank Bram Moolenaar for making Vim, and Björn
>> > Winckler for the MacVim port.
>> >
>> > The "ce" and "cw" bug should be addressed (see
>> > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/vim_use/UWLISFkZAlo)
>>
>> That is not a bug and has been explained several times (even in your
>> link)
>>
>> You can probably map it away if you don't like this. A quick google
>> search shows, there is even a plugin to change that behaviour:
>> https://github.com/ap/vim-you-keep-using-that-word
>>
>> > Sublime Text also has a unique feature that allows you to navigate
>> > through the entire document from a pane on the right (see pic). This
>> > would be a great feature to have in Vim—Especially for those who can't
>> > stand folding. Sublime Text also shows indentation as vertical lines
>> > (see pic)—This is a good feature; it will blend in perfectly with Vim.
>>
>> There are plugins that do that:
>> https://github.com/severin-lemaignan/vim-minimap
>> https://github.com/koron/minimap-vim
>>
>> > As far as I know, in Vim, it is not possible to display "\r" and "\n"
>> > as (different) special characters. This would be a nice feature to
>> > have for documents that contain both 'dos', 'unix' and 'classic mac'
>> > line breaks.
>>
>> Concealing should help with that.
>>
>> > Finally, there should be a simple way to know if the Caps-Lock or
>> > Shift key is pressed (like changing the cursor color, or the color of
>> > the cursor-line. Like "hi ShiftModeCursor" or "hi
>> > ShiftModeCursorLine".
>>
>> If there is a utility that queries the status of the Caps-Lock key, you
>> can probably make use of it in the statusline. Don't know, if such a
>> tool exists.
>>
>> Best,
>> Christian
>> --
>> Willst du friedlich leben? Verkehre mit den Menschen, lebe aber
>> allein, unternimm nichts und bedauere gar nichts.
>>               -- Iwan S. Turgenjew (Gedichte in Prosa)
>
> Hi Christian,
>
> Thanks for the links to the plugins.
>
> I tried Conceal to show 'dos' line breaks, but it doesn't work. Here is what
> I tried:
>  set conceallevel=2 concealcursor=nciv
>  syntax match CRLF "\r\n" conceal cchar=→

This code does not what you think. `\r` matches `<C-m>` *only* unless
it was transformed into a line break when reading file. `\n` does
*not* match `<LF>`, it matches *line break*, whatever it is.

This means that the above code *will* conceal `<CR>` at the end of
line, but only if you opened a file with CRLF linebreaks as a file
with LF linebreaks. And you can’t possibly conceal the line break.

I guess what you need is something

    set list
    let &listchars='tab:  '
    autocmd BufReadPost * :if &fileformat is# 'dos' | setlocal
listchars+=eol:→ | endif

except that `setlocal listchars` is not doing what you expect
(listchars is a global option).

>  hi clear Conceal
>  hi Conceal
>
> Regarding the "ce" issue: I've read the arguments about "ce" in that links
> that Justin provided, but I'm still not convinced that the behavior of "ce"
> is a feature.

I have already got used to this, but I think it would be better if
there was no such inconsistency: I now sometimes try to use `dw` as
`de` because of `cw`. And I don’t have a universal and just as short
replacement for `cw`.