On 2015-07-30 Thursday at 18:45 -0400 James McCoy wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 10:28:16PM +0200, Roland Eggner wrote:
> > On 2015-07-29 Wednesday at 21:51 -0400 James McCoy wrote:
> > > +getcharsearch()
> > > *getcharsearch()*
> > > +         Return the current character search information as a {dict}
> > > +         with the following entries:
> > > +
> > > +             char        character previously used for a character
> > > +                         search (|t|, |f|, |T|, or |F|); empty string
> > > +                         if no character search has been performed
> > > +             forward     direction of character search; 1 for forward,
> > > +                         0 for backward
> > > +             until       type of character search; 1 for a |t| or |T|
> > > +                         character search, 0 for an |f| or |F|
> > > +                         character search
> >
> > Instead of “forward” and “until” entries having an entry “command” with the
> > four
> > legal values “f” “F” “t” “T” would be easier to memorize.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> Interesting idea, but the current functionality allows one to easily control a
> single aspect of the search without needing to know the rest.
>
> Currently, to set/reverse the direction I can just
>
>     :call setcharsearch({'forward': 1})
> or
>
>     :call setcharsearch({'forward': !getcharsearch().forward})
>
> respecitvely without needing to know what type of character search is in
> effect.  Using your proposal turns the above into something like
>
>     :call setcharsearch({'command': tolower(getcharsearch().command)})
>
> and
>
>     :call setcharsearch({'command': tr(getcharsearch().command, 'tfTF',
> 'TFtf')})
>
> That seems more unwieldy to me.

Yes in this usage examples I see the advantage of your variant.

“f” or “t“  → “getcharsearch().forward == 1” having the effect of “true“ in
expressions matches intuition, but “until” seems to me rather difficult to
memorize.

Could you imagine {dict} entry name “exlusive” instead of “until”, with the
same
values?  Or “inclusive” with the values swapped?

Thank you.

Roland Eggner