On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 09:48:53AM +0200, Christian Brabandt wrote:

> Hi Bram!
>
> On Do, 13 Aug 2015, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>
> > Then, I want to check in a change to Google code only, that produces an
> > error when trying to build that version.  This is because there is no
> > way to stop the Mercurial repository from serving, users who simply pull
> > there won't notice anything wrong (except not getting any more updates).
> > So you would need to halt your update script before that happens, and
> > sync from github.  This *should* have the same version history then.
>
> I already sync from github ;)
>
> But if you check in an error to google code, that means, users won't be
> able to just switch the repository URL, because a commit would be
> missing? Can't we just keep the Google Code repository alone? It will be
> closed in January anyhow, so users should notice 4 month later when the
> urls won't work anymore.

You'd have two heads on the default branch initially -- the "error" head
that's at tip on google code, and the first real changeset after the switch
on bitbucket -- but you could merge the error head back in to the main
stream in the bitbucket repo so that anyone who pulled the google code
repo, got the error, switched repos, and updated would be back on track.

I think the build error is rather clever.

Danek