Great, if Vim doesn't support non-monos pace typefaces, it seems even less
barriers for ligatures to be supported (those users don't exist)

Ligatures with monospace typefaces are especially valuable for languages
with functional capabilities such as Haskell & modern (ES6) JavaScript.

On Sunday, October 18, 2015, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 11:02 PM, Kevin Lozandier <lozand...@gmail.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > I & many are expect true ligature support by enabling them to be used
> JIT rather than add anything to vimrc other than to turn them off for those
> who are *not* using monospace typefaces  for whatever reason & don't want
> such typefaces have their ligatures activated that are not oriented for
> fode.
>
> Vim does not support non-monospace typefaces.
>
> Even in GTK2, where it is possible to set 'guifont' to a non-monospace
> font name, Vim always displays one character per cell (or one CJK
> "wide" character per two cells) and these cells all have the same
> size, with the result that if you are ill-advised enough to set
> 'guifont' to a proportional font, your "m"s will appear cramped and
> your "I"s, "i"s and "l" will appear lonely.
>
> This is so basic in Vim philosophy that I don't expect Bram to do a
> complete overhaul of an otherwise well-working editor just to satisfy
> one user's whim. You could, of course, program it yourself (the source
> is there and the license allows it) but even if you succeed, IMHO such
> a "deep" new feature would need extensive testing _and_ extensive
> approval by the user community (in the form, maybe, of many users
> patching their source with it) before it would be accepted into the
> main Vim source. In the past, Bram has been reluctant to accept even
> some generally accepted features such as the "second wave" of
> trigonometric functions.
>
> Best regards,
> Tony.
>
> --