On 29/11/2015 21:01, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

Christian Brabandt wrote:

On So, 29 Nov 2015, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

Nikolay Pavlov wrote:

Patch 7.4.944
Problem:    Writing tests for Vim script is hard.
Solution:   Add assertEqual(), assertFalse() and assertTrue() functions.
Add

Why `assert{upper case letter}`? I know exactly no functions that use this
naming convention.

Yes, it's different.  There are some other functions with a capital,

There are? Which ones?

hlID()
synID()
synIDattr()

diff_hlID() is nicely inconsistent..

but many more with an underscore, or just all lower case.

But I do think that assertEqual() is easier to read than assertequal()
and it's shorter than assert_equal().  So do we prefer consistency or
nicer names?

+1 for consistency and the underscore.

Counting votes...

+1 for consistency/predictability over inconsistency. You may not like it but life is easier in the long run.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_astonishment

Perhaps there also is a case for adding hl_id(), syn_id(), etc. Or is the move to rename all existing functions in camelCase? Or just new ones? Or special ones, and if so how are special ones recognised?

Mike
--
Virtue is insufficient temptation.