I get this error using:

>ver
VIM - Vi IMproved 7.4 (2013 Aug 10, compiled Dec 29 2015 11:12:16)
MS-Windows 32-bit GUI version with OLE support
Included patches: 1-994
Compiled by Me
Huge version with GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
+acl             +cmdline_hist    -directx         +folding
+lispindent      -mzscheme        +quickfix        +syntax
 +vertsplit       -xim
+arabic          +cmdline_info    -dnd             -footer
 +listcmds        +netbeans_intg   +reltime         +tag_binary
 +virtualedit     -xterm_save
+autocmd         +comments        -ebcdic          +gettext/dyn
+localmap        +ole             +rightleft       +tag_old_static  +visual
         +xpm_w32
+balloon_eval    +conceal         +emacs_tags      -hangul_input    -lua
          +path_extra      -ruby            -tag_any_white   +visualextra
+browse          +cryptv          +eval            +iconv/dyn       +menu
         +perl/dyn        +scrollbind      -tcl             +viminfo
++builtin_terms  +cscope          +ex_extra        +insert_expand
+mksession       +persistent_undo +signs           -tgetent
+vreplace
+byte_offset     +cursorbind      +extra_search    +jumplist
 +modify_fname    -postscript      +smartindent     -termresponse
 +wildignore
+cindent         +cursorshape     +farsi           +keymap          +mouse
          +printer         -sniff           +textobjects     +wildmenu
+clientserver    +dialog_con_gui  +file_in_path    +langmap
+mouseshape      +profile         +startuptime     +title           +windows
+clipboard       +diff            +find_in_path    +libcall
+multi_byte      +python/dyn      +statusline      +toolbar
+writebackup
+cmdline_compl   +digraphs        +float           +linebreak
+multi_lang      -python3         -sun_workshop    +user_commands
-xfontset

I only get this error (it seems) when I open a new window at the top of the
screen.
Then I am trying to move back to the originating window.

So I have a vertical split window of which my cursor is in the right side
(2 windows).
Then I create a new horizontal window at the top (3 windows).
While in the top, I try to move back to the bottom right side:

>exec s:dbext_buffer_last_winnr . "wincmd w"
E16: Invalid range: 3wincmd w
0
>exec s:dbext_buffer_last_winnr . "wincmd w"
E16: Invalid range: 3wincmd w
>exec "" . s:dbext_buffer_last_winnr . "wincmd w"
E16: Invalid range: 3wincmd w
>exec 3 . "wincmd w"
E16: Invalid range: 3wincmd w
>exec "3" . "wincmd w"
E16: Invalid range: 3wincmd w
>exec "3wincmd w"
E16: Invalid range: 3wincmd w
>exec ":3wincmd w"
E16: Invalid range: :3wincmd w

If the new window is opened to the bottom of the screen instead of the top,
the command works as advertised.

Also, if I manually execute the command:
:3wincmd w

There are no errors and it does what I expect.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David