Ken Takata wrote:

> 2016/1/2 Sat 6:30:39 UTC+9 Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> > Ken Takata wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > 3. Updated if_xx
> > >   ActivePerl 5.22
> > >   ActiveTcl 8.6
> > >   LuaBinaries 5.3
> > >   Python 2.7
> > >   Python 3.4
> > >   RubyInstaller 2.2
> >
> > I'm updating my Windows machine with these.  I'll use Python 2.7.10
> > (since 2.7.11 has a problem).
> >
> > Unfortunately, Vim can't load "python35.dll".  I tried re-installing,
> > but that didn't help  You mention Python 3.4, does 3.5 not work?
> > I'll stick to 3.4 for now, it appears to work.
>
> Before 3.4, pythonXX.dll was installed into the system directory
> (C:\Windows\System32 or C:\Windows\SysWOW64), but after 3.5, python35.dll
> is not installed into the system directory. So if you want to use 3.5,
> you must add the python35.dll's directory to the PATH environment.
> Using 3.4 is easier than 3.5.

I had copied the python35.dll to c:\windows\System32 but that didn't
help.  Unfortunately the only error is that the file can't be loaded,
there is no hint why.  I suppose that even when the file is found there
can still be other reasons why it can't be loaded.  Anyway, Python 3.4
is good enough.

> > I tried Ruby 2.2, but it appears it doesn't work with MSVC.
> > The config.h include file is in include/ruby-2.2.0/i386-mingw32.
> > Trying to change the path for that results in a missing "strings.h"
> > include file, I assume that's from MingW.
>
> As I wrote in this post, I do some hacks on AppVeyor:
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/dAXpcpHmVw4/zz_NoTUICwAJ
>
> 1. Download Ruby 2.2's source code and generate config.h:
>
>   cd C:\projects
>   git clone https://github.com/ruby/ruby.git -b ruby_2_2
>   cd ruby
>   call win32\configure.bat
>   nmake .config.h.time
>
> There is no need to build whole Ruby, just config.h is needed.
> The config.h is generated in the .ext\include\i386-mswin32_100 directory.
>

> 2. Adjust some variables when building Vim
>
>   nmake -f Make_mvc.mak ^
>       ... ^
>       RUBY=C:\projects\ruby DYNAMIC_RUBY=yes RUBY_VER=22 RUBY_VER_LONG=2.2.0 ^
>       RUBY_INSTALL_NAME=msvcrt-ruby$(RUBY_API_VER) ^
>       RUBY_PLATFORM=i386-mswin32_100 ^
>       RUBY_INC="/I $(RUBY)\include /I $(RUBY)\.ext\include\$(RUBY_PLATFORM)" ^
>       WINVER=0x500
>
> Normally we need to set only RUBY, DYNAMIC_RUBY, RUBY_VER, RUBY_VER_LONG and
> WINVER. (WINVER must be set to >=0x500, when building with Ruby 2.1+.)
> But when using this trick, we also need to set RUBY_INSTALL_NAME,
> RUBY_PLATFORM and RUBY_INC.

Instead of that, can we copy the generated config.h into the installed
Ruby directory, next to the MingW one?  Or does that not work?

> RUBY_PLATFORM becomes different value when you use different compiler.
> E.g. If you use 64-bit VC2013 (=VC12), RUBY_PLATFORM is x64-mswin64_120.
>
> When you build 64-bit version, RUBY_INSTALL_NAME must be set to
> x64-msvcrt-ruby$(RUBY_API_VER). (Oops, I made a mistake in the appveyor.bat.)
>
> With these tricks, Vim can use the dll from RubyInstaller.

Can we please gather the complete, step-by-step instructions?  Probably
the best place for this is src/INSTALLpc.txt.

> > I had not built with Lua, can't find instructions on how to do it.
>
> I use LuaBinaries (http://luabinaries.sourceforge.net/).
> I downloaded lua-5.3.2_Win32_dllw4_lib.zip from the download page.

Well, then you have a .zip file.  Then what?

I spent too much time yesterday trying to do things that should be
simple, but turn out to be a big forest of options, choices and
failures.  Some installers ask tons of questions that I don't know the
answer to.  And now my $PATH is filled with directories that no longer
exist...

We should really have one place, with a nice step-by-step list of
instructions for every interface.  Mainly for those who build Vim.
But there should also be a section for users, how to install the stuff
needed to run the interface.  This should be in the help.

Since you have most of this figured out, can you please write this down?
And then have someone with a "clean" system follow them and check for
any missing pieces.

--
ARTHUR: Did you say shrubberies?
ROGER:  Yes.  Shrubberies are my trade.  I am a shrubber.  My name is Roger