On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 10:40:05 PM UTC+10, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> John Beckett wrote:
>> It is a real problem that Vim can mislead the user into thinking there
>> is no difference, when in fact a new line has been inserted at the top
>> of the other window. Just scrolling one window to the top is not
>> enough because unless you gg in *both* windows, you have no idea
>> whether the files are identical or not.
>
> It's strange that in this case we get lots of useless "~" lines.
> I wonder why that happens.  Probably the top line in the window is
> computed before the fold is closed.
>
> At least it helps a bit to set 'scrolloff' to 5 or more.
> Hmm, perhaps we should add that to the defaults.

Thanks Bram for patch 7.4.2279, that's much better.
However, the following shows there is still a frustration.

Using gvim.exe 7.4.2290

Start Vim then execute the commands shown.

gvim -N -u NONE

:let lines = range(1, 999)
:call writefile(lines, 'old.tmp')
:call writefile(['inserted'] + lines, 'new.tmp')
:e new.tmp
:vert diffs old.tmp

One way to execute the commands is to copy the lines to the
clipboard. In Vim, type @+

Result: See two windows side-by-side. They appear to be
identical, with each window showing:

1
2
3
4
5
6
+--993 lines: 7------

The cursor is on "1" at the top of the left-hand window.
Pressing [c does nothing other than ring the bell. The only way
I know to see that the two files are different is to switch to
the right-hand window and scroll up ([c works).

I'm never confident any more that a diff is showing everything.

John