Ben Fritz wrote:

> On Saturday, March 4, 2017 at 6:47:33 AM UTC-6, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> > Philippe Vaucher wrote:

> > > Hehe, I just noticed that!
> > >
> > > Thanks :-)
> > >
> > > Sooooo reguarding vim, 6 years ago this was put in the TODO in the "As
> > > soon as possible" section. Today this patch still sits there...
> > > maybe... just maybe... is there some kind of problems with the patch
> > > submission process? *wink wink*
> >
> > I don't recall anyone asking for this feature in the past six years.
> > If there was a discussion about how this is useful for more than one
> > user, it would have been moved up in the todo list.
> >
> > Including just every patch available leads to a mess.  Also,
> > autocommands are a clumsy mechanism, thus I hesitate to add more of it.
> >
> > I had a brief look at the comments, and it appears the functionality
> > would be better done with some kind of callback.
> >

> Aren't autocmds basically Vim's way of doing callbacks?

Yes, in a quite clumsy way.  Especially the way arguments are passed to
the commands being executed.  And how state needs to be saved and
restored.  I have often wondered what would be a proper solution, but I
don't have a concrete proposal.

Another problem with autocommands is that the caller can do anything.
Such as a BufReadPre could open a new window.  Thus the Vim code
triggering the autocommand has to be extremely careful about assuming
the current state. And need to abort the command sometimes.  Anyway,
using a callback mechanism probably won't solve that.  But the point
where it is called could help.

> I don't personally feel the need for one, but I know many people would
> like a "yank ring" style of plugin or other sort of clipboard
> management which this patch would enable.

Each problem usually has several ways of dealing with it.  Just taking
the first solution that comes to mind is often wrong, it may lead to the
need for another solution later, when it turns out that the first
solution doesn't cover all use cases.

71. You wonder how people walk