Ramel Eshed wrote:

> vim -u NONE
>
> ia<C-R>="b\n"<CR>
>
> results:
> ab
> <empty line>
>
> This should be the expected behavior as I understand. But if I use instead:
> ia<C-R><C-O>="b\n"<CR>
>
> I get:
>
> Also:
>
> ia<C-R><C-R>="b\n"<CR>
> I get:
> ab^@
>
> -the ^@ is displayed instead of an empty new line.
>
> I'm using vim 8.0.540 on RHEL6. Please look into it.

Vim offers those different commands to be able to insert different
things.  So it's normal that they work differently.

On top of that, it appears that in the second case the register is
recognized as linewise, since the text ends in a NL.

264. You turn to the teletext page "surfing report" and are surprised that it
     is about sizes of waves and a weather forecast for seaside resorts.