> [...]
> to do and how do they currently do that? I only ask because I don't
> understand how the setup you described is prevented from doing what it
> needs to do by the lack of a terminal emulator, although something may
> need to be done differently for the GUI version (as it doesn't run in
> a terminal emulator).
>
>> And it fits in with.... WAIT!  Among the reasons to add a terminal
>> emulator window are such reasons as:
>>
>> 1. For debugging.
>>
>> 2. For running external commands in the GUI.
>>
>> 3. For running tests with a remote controlled Vim.
>>
>> 4. Run a job conveniently on all platforms and interact with it.  Allows
>>    for jobs that prompt the user, keeping an eye on progress, etc.,
>>    without the need to start another xterm or console window.
>>
>> Some may say that this invites users to run a shell in a Vim window,
>> which is not what an editor should be doing.  That's true.  But one can
>> actually already do this with a job that is connected to a buffer.  I
>> haven't heard much complaints about that.  We do need to set priorities,
>> supporting the above mentioned reasons is the most important.
>>
>> I am currently exploring using libvterm for the implementation.  It
>> looks like this will work.  Still a lot of stuff to implement, which
>> might not work that well, we'll have to see.  I hope to send out an
>> initial patch soon, we can discuss more then.
>>

> Most of the very bad reasons I could give are mitigated by using
> libvterm, so as far as I know there's no grave reason you should
> completely avoid adding terminal emulation to Vim. I can, however,
> attest that it will be quite a bit of work even with what libvterm
> provides you.
>
> If adding a terminal emulator solves all of the reasons given in an
> elegant enough fashion then it makes sense to go forward with it
> despite the issues I brought up. Unfortunately, things like #2 and #4
> when on Windows seem like "pretend to be Cygwin" which sounds like
> project creep so massive it is actually impossible to accomplish.
> Getting around those two issues seems like it is generally
> accomplished by installing Cygwin. I'm not sure how that solution
> interacts with gVim, but it sounds like it is avoided - throughout my
> use of Vim there have been many suggestions to use it inside of Cygwin
> when on Windows.
>
> My conservative response to points #1 and #3 is likely due to my
> background with Linux. I see no reason why those things should be
> added to Vim merely because they exist elsewhere and adding them would
> take effort which could be spent doing something else. On Windows the
> situation may be different (I currently know of no way to do those
> things without using Cygwin), but on some level I think it needs to be
> acknowledged that there will be operating system differences that may
> not be reconcilable inside of Vim.
>
> R0b0t1.
>
> P.S. I'm actually rather startled to learn that neovim has a built in

There is a very limited terminal emulator in GVim. AFAIR the main
reasoning behind adding terminal emulator into Neovim were exactly GUI
and making things more uniform: the “very limited terminal emulator”
does not even support colors, it is only as good as “create pty and
set $TERM to dumb”.

And, BTW, Neovim is planning on making its terminal emulator work on
Windows, and this has nothing to do with cygwin. Basically “terminal
emulator on Windows” means one of two things or both of them combined:

1. Escape codes interpreter. Easy to achieve, you just work exactly
like on linux, the only problem is the differences between starting
Windows and linux processes, but that is covered by libuv. Despite the
fact that “terminal escape codes ‘language’” is full of legacy,
interpreter for it is smaller then interpreter for VimL.
2. Emulator which is able to somehow receive and interpret [Windows
console API][winconapi]. This is far harder, totally different from
unix escape sequences … and already covered by winpty which is able to
do the translation. I am not sure what you would need as a dependency,
but [PR which adds support for terminal on Windows][neovimpr] uses no
new third-party packages for building and just lays its hands on
[winpty-agent.exe][wpty-agent] (711K in [MSVC 0.4.3
release][winpty-0.4.3] which is the largest among the variants) and
[winpty.dll][winptydll] which is 625K. This is not much by the modern
standards, especially given that you need Qt as second most mature
Neovim UI aside from lua UI used for testing is nvim-qt (first is
built-in terminal UI which is *nix-specific).

And yes, [that PR][neovimpr] means that Windows Neovim is going to
have :terminal support.

[wpty-agent]:
https://github.com/neovim/neovim/pull/6383/files#diff-7abbb8315fea3e74ba20ce24ac297519R429
[winptydll]: