On 13 October 2017, Kazunobu Kuriyama <kazunobu.kuriy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> HI,
>
> To get your patch to work for macOS, I needed to add some tweaks to that.
> Please find the attached patch and consider merging it into yours.   Of
> course, it's fine to me that you reject or modify it freely; I leave that
> to you.
>
> More precisely, contrary to the description it claims (:h manpager), I
> haven't been able to get manpager.vim to work for macOS since it was
> introduced.  As Bram asked for confirmation if your patch worked for other
> platforms, I looked into the issue and found a way to have it work properly
> for the OS.
>
> Hopefully, with your patch, the issue is all fixed for the BSD clan.

    Sorry, my patch only fixes how manpager.vim works on systems that
set $MAN_PN, i.e. _some_ Linuxes.

    On OpenBSD I'm using this script instead of the MANPAGER thing:

        #! /bin/sh

        PATH=/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin

        if [ x"$real_man" = x ]; then
        export real_man=$(PATH=/bin:/usr/bin which man)

        fmt=$("$real_man" -w "$@" | head -1)
        fmt=${fmt##*/}
        fmt=${fmt%.Z}
        fmt=${fmt%.gz}
        export MAN_PN="${fmt%.*}(${fmt##*.})"
        export MANPAGER='vim -M +MANPAGER'
        fi
        exec "$real_man" "$@"

    I named this "man" and put it in ~/bin (i.e. a directory in $PATH
that comes before /usr/bin where the real "man" lives).  Maybe this can
also work for you on Mac.

> Please note that the patch was made against the the version prior to the
> above, since I found it didn't work with \(bu (^H appears next to it).

    I'm afraid I can't parse what you're saying here.  Does something
like ":Man ls" work for you (without MANPAGER and without my patch)?

    /lcd