On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 5:04 PM, Kazunobu Kuriyama <
kazunobu.kuriy...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Seems like we need to run :so testdir/color_ramp.vim before running the
>>> cat command; there seems to be no color_ramp.txt in the repo...
>>>
>>> And the result is...very impressive!  Not only colors are displayed
>>> correctly, but also its drawing is noticeably faster than that of the
>>> "dumb" terminal.
>>>

>> On the contrary, the drawing is much, much slower than with the dumb
>> terminal, when using the MacVim gui.  I don't know if this is a MacVim
>> specific problem or not, but it makes using the non-dumb terminal into what
>> I would call a regression (it's that slow and laggy).
>>

> Are you sure that MacVim has already included Patch 8.0.1616?  How can you
> conclude that using the new non-dumb terminal would result in "regression".

No, but it has at least 8.0.1609 which is the relevant one.

It would be a regression because the performance of `:!ls` would be worse
than it used to be.

>> Also, when using the dumb terminal to show `!ls`, I see:
>>
>> ```
>> :!ls
>> one    two     three
>> four   five   six
>> [blank line]
>> Press ENTER or type command to continue
>> ```
>> But when using "!" in &cpo on MacVim, the blank line is in a different
>> place.  It's right below `:!ls`, and before the output of the `ls`
>> command.  Then the "Press ENTER" part has no blank line above it to
>> separate it from the `ls` output.
>>

> I can't reproduce.  BTW, you are talking about 'cpo' (cpoptions) here and
> below, but it should be 'go' (guioptions).  Are they typos?

Yes, I meant to say `&go`.  That was a typo.

I'm surprised you can't reproduce.  I can get this even with `--clean` or
`-u NONE -U NONE -N --noplugin` etc.

>> Finally, another reason to not put "!" in &cpo by default just yet is
>> that the colors are hard to read if your colorscheme has a black or nearly
>> black background.  This is *not* a MacVim specific problem.  There is an
>> open thread about this on GitHub, I think.  Maybe that should be solved
>> before making "!cmd" result in nigh-invisible output.
>>

> Anyway, it is the fact that xterm has been shipped with them and that
> nobody has never stopped it.

But we're talking about the GUI, not an xterm.  People expect their GUI to
not have the quirks of terminal emulators.  And besides: if it's
unreadable, it's unreadable, and thus shouldn't be foisted upon the users
by default when the dumb-but-legible terminal works just fine.

-Manny