Christian wrote:

> can we please change the default for wildmode from "full" to
> "list:longest,longest:full"?
>
> Rationale: I have been working lately on a system with many files laying
> around with complex names across a complex directory structure. On that
> system I did not have my current vimrc config files around, only using
> the vim that comes with git-bash.
>
> However since I need to edit specific files it drives me actually nuts,
> that the filename completion will complete to some random files and
> there is no easy way to go back to the uncompleted typed filename so I
> have to smash backslash until I find from where to correct the pattern
> (plus one actually has to stare at the completed filename pattern and
> double check that the completed name is actually the correct one).
>
> I think only to complete the longest common match is a much more
> sensible behaviour and does not cause confusion. In fact, sometimes I
> did not even notice that Vim was completing the wrong filename for me,
> until I wondered why I didn't find what I was looking for.
>
> Attached patch does this change to defaults.vim

Well, I actually prefer "full".  Mostly just because I'm used to it.

You can use Shift-Tab to go back to the uncompleted text (well, if
shift-Tab works on the terminal).

I think you always need to check if the completed name is the right one,
no matter what 'wildmode' is set to.

What do others think?

--
MESKIMEN'S LAW
    There's never time to do it right, but always time to do it over.