Hi Bram,

2018/7/1 Sun 5:02:50 UTC+9 Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Ken Takata wrote:
>
> [...]
> > >
> > > This asks what packages to install.  Should this install "all"?
> > > It installs an awful lot of stuff, it says it uses 1.5 Gbyte.
> > > My laptop is almost full...
> >
> > If you only want to build 32-bit Vim, you don't need to install the x86_64
> > toolchain.  In this case, you can use one of the following commands:
> >
> >     pacman -S base-devel mingw-w64-i686-toolchain
> > or:
> >     pacboy -S base-devel: toolchain:i
> >     (The ":i" suffix means i686 only.)
> >
> > If you only want to build 64-bit Vim, you don't need to install the i686
> > toolchain.  In this case, you can use one of the following commands:
> >
> >     pacman -S base-devel mingw-w64-x86_64-toolchain
> > or:
> >     pacboy -S base-devel: toolchain:x
> >     (The ":x" suffix means x86_64 only.)
> >

> > Some of the package might not be needed for building Vim, but I haven't
> > checked which is necessary and which is not.
> > The above package groups are generally useful for building many kind of
> > programs.
>
> I deleted the 64 bit directory, that was 700 Mbyte.  Now the 32 bit
> directory is still taking 700 Mbyte.  It would be useful to find out how
> to reduce that.

You can refer Arch Wiki for general usage of the pacman command:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pacman

To remove x64_86 toolchain, try:
    pacman -R mingw-w64-x86_64-toolchain
or:
    pacman -R toolchain:x

Also you can clean the package cache.  The downloaded packages are stored in
the C:\msys64\var\cache\pacman\pkg directory.
See the following part for how to clean it:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pacman#Cleaning_the_package_cache
(Or you can remove the files manually. It is not recommended, though.)

> > > That uses the MSYS console, where just about nothing works.  "git pull"
> > > doesn't work.  Can't even run the Vim I just build in it.  How to build
> > > Vim in a normal Windows console?
> >
> > When the MSYS2 console is executed, MSYS2 stops exporting the current $PATH
> > by default.  If you want to use git in MSYS2 console, there are two ways.
> >
> > 1. Change the MSYS2 setting to export the current $PATH
> >    See C:\msys64\msys2_shell.cmd for detail.
> > 2. Install the MSYS2 version of git
> >    MSYS2 has its own version of git. You can install it by pacman/pacboy.
>
> I don't really want to use the MSYS2 console, it's like using Linux on a
> Windows system.  When doing "pwd" I see a different home directory,
> among other surprises.  I prefer using the Windows console, since that
> is what most people will be using.

Okay, but some other people want to use the MSYS2 console.
We might be able to improve the instructions for those people.

Regards,
Ken Takata