If Vim is reloaded after a crash there will usually be one or more
ATTENTION (E325) messages. This is usually no problem for me as I save
my work at regular intervals, which means that I can usually delete
the swapfiles left standing after the crash (they will have "modified:
no"). However (especially after a system crash and a reboot) sometimes
the PID of the previous Vim has been reused, the ATTENTION message
says "(still running)" and the "delete" option is not available, even
though the program currently using that PID is not the Vim which
created the swapfile (and then crashed, or was involved in a system
crash). I'm not sure if (and how) it is possible to get over this
problem. Maybe in the (still running) case the ATTENTION message could
list the name of the program currently using that PID, and still offer
the "delete" option (possibly with an "are you sure" confirmation) if
that name isn't one of those (vim, gvim, view, etc.; even vi nowadays)
usually associated with a Vim executable?

Best regards,
Tony.