While a basically agree, wrt

- root directory

Why not allow many root markers? Since a VCS directory is usually created in
the project's root directory, these VCS directories would be a natural choice.
The autoproject plugin[1] does it this way, and IMHO (but I'm biased :-)) it
works quite well. I think it would be a mistake to require the existence of
some magic marker.

- file list

I'm not sure this should be provided by vim. Sooner or later you'd want to
cache this information. Then you'd have to check if the info is still up to
date. I'm not sure if this is within the scope of the standard vim
distribution. In this respect, one could ask whether vim should actually
provide the functionality or just define a standard api that is provided for by
a user-chosen plugin -- i.e. let one plugin provide filelists for projects. One
plugin uses more clever chaching, the other relies on this or that external
tool.

E.g.

    set project_roots_provider=foobar#GetProjectRoots
    set project_filelist_provider=foobar#GetFileList
    echo project_filelist(project_root("project name"))
    " which would actually call foobar#GetFilelist()

- buffer-local options

If I got it right, the vim team tends towards EditorConfig for this?

[1] https://github.com/tomtom/autoproject_vim