> I've made things by tweaking `shellpipe` and `makeef` along with a bit
> of scripting.
>
> When opening this I wanted my initial report to be high level. But
> getting into the implementation does Vim have to rely on `tee`? I.E.
> when invoking `:make` could Vim not read and print the errorfile
> itself? This would avoid relying on shell features (which may not be
> portable).
>
> This may also alleviate the need to include a copy of `tee` in Vim's
> source for Windows systems.

You can drop "tee", but then you don't see any progress while make is
busy.

It should be possible to make this work, since tcsh works "out of the
box".  An alternative would be to let make write to a file, and the Vim
would need to work like "tail -f" to show the output while it's working.
This does depend on make to flush the output, which would then be a new
problem to solve...

28. You have comandeered your teenager's phone line for the net and even his
    friends know not to call on his line anymore.