This is happening on my new month year old computer as well as my 10+ year
old computer.

The behavior is exactly the same on both computers when using Gvim to open
a .txt file.   (I have not checked other kinds of files).

While looking at the file in a Windows explorer directory in detail mode, I
see the modification date updated to the present moment at the instant I
open the file.

This happens when opening the .txt file by:
   :r filename <enter>

or by using the menus:
   File>> Open...>> Edit file>> select filename>> Open
-----------

I double checked the behavior by Updating Windows and uninstalling my 32x
Vim install and re-installing a 64x Vim install.  I also update Windows 10
to the current version.

I again saw exactly the same behavior.  (Please, a few of you try this and
report the outcome to my current thread about the issue in VIM_USE, and I
will take those and update VIM_DEV.)

Here are the details of my installation of Vim and Windows 10, however it
seems to happen on some different recent versions of Vim and Windows:

GVIM----
Signed 64 bit installer
gvim_8.2.1444_x64.exe
:version
VIM - Vi IMproved 8.2 (2019 Dec 12, compiled Aug 13 2020 22:02:15)
MS-Windows 64-bit GUI version with OLE support
Included patches: 1-1444
(full version less .bat files)

WINDOWS 10 Home----
2020-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64-based Systems
(KB4566782)
Successfully installed on 8/14/2020
2020-05 Microsoft Edge Update for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64-based
Systems (KB4559309)
Successfully installed on 8/14/2020
2020-08 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10
Version 2004 for x64 (KB4569745)
Successfully installed on 8/14/2020
Windows 10 up to date - 8/14/2020