On 31/01/2021 18:11, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> James McCoy wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 04:46:51PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>>>
>>> [...] +     Add GUI support (ignore compiler warnings): +   % sudo
>>> apt install libgtk2.0-dev
>>
>> This should really be libgtk-3-dev.  GTK+2 has been unsupported
>> for years and GTK+3 is already going to maintenance mode as work
>> transitions to GTK+4.
>
> Well, the GTK 2 version works well, while GTK 3 still has a few
> drawbacks, I believe it's slower.

One drawback of GTK3 is that Vim doesn't support a vertical button
layout for dialogs (:set guioptions+=v); I recently discovered and
reported that (https://github.com/vim/vim/issues/7746). That's why I
switched back to GTK2. Regarding the slowness, I noticed visibly
slower screen redraw in GTK2 (e.g. after GVIM becomes the active
foreground application again), but only on my Ubuntu 20.04 machine,
not on 16.04.

> Also, that one package does not appear to be sufficient.  If I
> remove the libgtk2.0-dev package and install libgtk-3-dev:
>
> configure:9420: checking for pkg-config configure:9438: found
> /usr/bin/pkg-config configure:9450: result: /usr/bin/pkg-config
> configure:9477: checking --disable-gtktest argument configure:9487:
> result: gtk test enabled configure:9533: checking for GTK -dev
> package configure:9611: result: no

Instead of explicitly installing the compiler and various dev
packages, I have been using
    $ apt-get build-dep vim-gtk3
- From the apt-get man page: "build-dep causes apt-get to install/remove
packages in an attempt to satisfy the build dependencies for a source
package".

So if you want a Vim with similar build options as the distribution's
version, this seems to be a really convenient and future-proof
alternative command. (You still need "apt install git", as Ubuntu
doesn't know how you obtain the source code.)

(This is for Ubuntu 20.04, which ships the GTK3 variant by default. On
Ubuntu 16.04, it used to be build-dep vim-gnome, for the GTK2 variant.)

Interestingly, build-dep installs gcc as the compiler - I don't even
have clang installed; always compiled Vim with gcc.

> Hmm, pkg-config does list "gtk+-3.0", not sure what is wrong... It
> seems configure doesn't check for GTK 3 for some reason. Debugging
> shell scripts...

- -- regards, ingo